Jun 20 Electric Smart Car: ooh ... I want! I want!


I test-drove this baby on the weekend. It's a cool, smooth, green, quiet, electric Smart Car.

Not that I'm in the market for a new car, for I love my 2006 Smart and I've always said I will never part with it -- unless they come out with an electric or solar-powered Smart car, that is.

Little did I know, an electric version is on its way to market next year. This truck is driving across Canada with two electric Smarts in the trailer, and my Smart dealership called me to ask if I'd like to drive one while it's in Victoria.


DUH. Does the Pope shit in the woods? (Sorry. Thomas Dolby reference.)

This version of Smart is the same size as the gas/petrol models, which are bigger than my diesel Smart. It is slightly longer and the interior has a flat dashboard (mine is curvy) with a lockable glove compartment (mine doesn't have that).

The first thing I noticed was that the car was "on," but dead silent. It was only when I got out onto the road that I heard a very quiet whine from the engine. It's waaaaaay quieter than my car and doesn't have that awful diesel exhaust.

The engine is still in the back under the luggage compartment. The batteries are under the seats somewhere, with a cooling system to keep them at the right temperature. From the outside, you'd never know it was electric if it weren't for the "E" painted on the side. Where the fuel tank door is located on my Smart, this one has a door the same size, which is where the plug goes in. Apparently the car can drive 140 kms before needing a 2-hour charge, which isn't great for long trips but perfect for city driving.

And besides, this is just a prototype. When they come to market next year, the new versions will have better performance. So the salesmen say.

Another huge benefit: there's only one "gear." Rather, there are two: forward and backward. No lurching during gear changes, which is terrible in my car. As soon as it's on, you have full power for acceleration. Love it.

It's also a smoother ride overall. This car doesn't feel every bump in the road like mine does, which is probably because it's longer and heavier.


I won't be running out and buying one next year, for with anything technical I am careful to wait a few generations for